Grants and Development Coordinator
The Grants and Development position oversees all aspects of Shelby County Historical Museum (SCHM) fundraising and development, marketing, community outreach, and membership. The position works in a collaborative environment with the Executive Director, other staff, and volunteers developing fundraising strategies, grant opportunities, and fostering relationships with members and the community. This position reports to the Executive Director and Board of Directors. This position is designated as exempt.
Salary Range: $38,000 - $44,000
Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
Development and Fundraising
• Identify corporate, governmental, and foundation grant opportunities that may provide financial, in-kind, or other support for SCHM mission and programs.
• Identify private donor opportunities that may contribute to short- and long-term growth of The Shelby County Historical Society Endowed Fund.
• Execute all donor cultivation and stewardship activities including gift proposals, thank you letters, and follow-up communication.
• Fundraise actively to help meet both the needs of day-to-day operations and special projects.
• Manage grants calendar and provide reports as required on applications planned, pending, successful, and declined.
• Craft and submit LOIs (Letter of Interest) and grant proposals to private foundations and other funders.
• Manage the entire grant process from crafting compelling budgets to post-award and close-out documentation.
• Manage end-of-the-year campaign including creating and writing appeal letter.
Marketing and Advertising
• Manage the museum’s digital presence including developing content for its website and social media accounts.
• Develop and manage advertising including social media outreach, traditional radio, and print.
• Create brochures and posters.
• In collaboration with the Executive Director, develop and distribute the SCHM quarterly newsletter.
• Maintain relationships with donors, local businesses, funders, news outlets, and other community organizations.
• Develop, schedule, and execute large and small events – both fundraising and educational programing.
• Provide educational tours, answer questions, and engage with museum guests.
• Manage SCHM membership including managing the membership database, sending renewal reminders, and developing additional membership benefits.
• Participate in outreach through contributions to columns in the Harlan Newspaper, and participation in Museum events and activities.
• Assist with day-to-day SCHM operations and visitor relations.
• Assist staff with exhibit creation activities.
• Provide staff support for all major SCHM public programs, including weekend and evening events.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, and establishing professional networks.
• Submit regular information to board members through monthly reports and attend required Board and Committee meetings.
Education and Experience:
• B.A. in Communications or related field.
• 2-3 years of experience in public relations, marketing, social media management, and/or membership management.
• Excellent organization, problem-solving, communication (written and oral), and interpersonal skills.
• Computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Canva, and the ability to learn new software and features including WildApricot and PastPerfect.
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
About the Shelby County Historical Museum:
The Shelby County Historical Museum preserves and shares the history of rural Iowa, increasing the understanding of history and its relevance to current events. The museum interacts with and engages a diverse audience through exhibits, outreach, and access to our collection.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Review of applications will begin on Wednesday, July 27, 2022. Application materials must include a resume and cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to Sarah McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org.